- 1943 Faith Grossman was born and then diagnosed as having cerebral palsy, which was the catalyst for the establishment of United Cerebral Palsy.
- 1948 Lionel O. Grossman founded United Cerebral Palsy and Handicapped Children's Association of Syracuse, Inc. (UCP) which opened at the Elmcrest Children's Center with six staff members treating 25 children with the support of many volunteers. Thelma Kleinhans appointed as executive director (and remained as executive director until 1966).
- 1950 Women's Auxiliary was formed. The adult group program began.
- 1951 UCP became a member of the Community Chest (now known as United Way of Central New York, Inc.). Diagnostic Clinic started with orthopedic services under Dr. Mark Harwood.
- 1956 Lionel O. Grossman recipient of citation from then New York State Governor Averil Harriman for his efforts to assist people with cerebral palsy. First Beacon Ball given by the Women's Auxiliary was held (the ball became known as a major social event in the Syracuse community).
- 1957 UCP relocated to Wieting Johnson Hospital building on the Elmcrest grounds.
- 1964 The Rosamond Gifford Charitable Corporation gift allowed the establishment of the deaf preschool (3-5 year old) education program.
- 1966 Helen Stienke appointed as executive director. Parents' support group established.
- 1967 UCP moved to the VanDuyn complex. Frank Sirianni appointed as executive director.
- 1969 Lionel O. Grossman retired from the Board of Directors. Early development program for infants began.
- 1970 Home Service program began with partial funding through United Cerebral Palsy of New York State and the Elks.
- 1973 Kindergarten to first grade program began and Pre-kindergarten classes started.
- 1974 PALS (Pre-acquisition of language skills) program began.
- 1975 Deaf infant program started with Dr. Bodner. UCP moved to 1603 Court Street (old St. Mary's Hospital).
- 1979 ARISE (independent living center) opened under UCP's umbrella. Adaptive engineering (CARE) department began making adaptive aids and equipment.
- 1980 Schneier Communication Unit opened with partial funding from the Saul Schneier Charitable Trust. Parent/Infant education program began.
- 1982 UCP Residential program opened two apartments at Clinton Plaza Apartments. ARISE became an independent not-for-profit agency.
- 1983 Richard Pratt appointed as executive director.
- 1985 UCP's McBride Center day treatment program began.
- 1986 Schneier Communication Unit nominated as a model outreach site for the American Speech Language Hearing Association and the United States Department of Education. Family Support project began with grant from New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities (OMRDD). Supported work program (Community Employment Services) initiated with funding from OMRDD and New York State Vocational and Employment Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID) funding.
- 1987 Board of Directors approved the use of doing business as name of ENABLE. Residential services expanded with purchase and renovation of home on Jamesville Avenue.
- 1988 Implementation of first pre school education integration project. Individualized Living program began.
- 1989 Supported Work Program receives PEER ("Programs that are Exemplary in Education and Rehabilitation") Regional Award (covering New York, New Jersey and Puerto Rico).
- 1990 Termination of segregated day treatment services (McBride Center). Full integration of educational services for infants, toddlers and preschoolers achieved. This allowed the integration of deaf infant and PALS services into our regular educational services for children with disabilities. NYS Developmental Disabilities Planning Council grant received to develop alternative living arrangement which expanded individualized living services.
- 1991 Sara Wall Bollinger appointed executive director. Founding father, Lionel Grossman, died at age 96. Self directed personal services initiated in conjunction with the Onondaga County Department of Social Services (DSS).
- 1992 Self Directed Personal Services (SDPS) became operational. SDPS enables individuals to personally hire/fire/direct their attendant services.
- 1993 Continued supported employment and residential services for former consumers of the Pioneer agency by accepting requests to take over the contracts.
- 1994 Medicaid Home and Community Based Waiver Services added; Roosevelt Avenue IRA opened.
- 1995 Project Adapt (adapted toy lending program) moved to Enable from the Onondaga County Public Library.
- 1996 Aquatic Therapy program added. Vocational Counseling offered as a Clinic Service and Central New York TRAID (Technology related Assistance to Individuals with Disabilities) moved to Enable.
- 1998 Enable celebrates 50th Anniversary of providing individual services for children and adults with disabilities in Central New York. The BEST program for preschool children with autism spectrum began. Collaborative therapy services initiated with the Central New York DSO.
- 1999 Thomas Drive IRA opened. The STARS social skills training for school aged children with autism spectrum disorders began. Parent support groups are also sponsored. Family care program discontinued.
- 2000 Bradbury Drive IRA opened. Clinton Plaza ICF closed. Computer training center opened.
- 2001 Sensory Integration program begins.
- 2003 Enable launched the “Growing Beyond Limitations” capital campaign to raise funds for a new “green” building to house space for expanded clinic services.
- 2005 After years of collaboration with the First Presbyterian Church United, Enable assumed full responsibility of the preschool program at Exploring Your World.
- 2006 Enable moved forward with multiple projects, most importantly the opening of the new “green” building at Court Street. The new facility provided space for expansion of clinical services, day habilitation, conference space and office space. The Wellness Therapy Center was the crowning jewel in the new facility. As services moved into the facility, off-site clinics and offices were closed. Community Services continued to expand residential services with the opening of several new homes. Enable celebrated the 35th anniversary of the move to Court Street by dedicating the Spirit of St. Mary’s memorial garden. Volunteer participation in agency events expanded. Over 60 volunteers helped install a new accessible playground at Exploring Your World.
- 2007 Education Services opened an Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) classroom for children with autism through collaboration with Shining Stars Daycare.
- 2008 Enable’s new facility became the first building in Syracuse to be certified for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) by the U.S. Green Building Council. The Family Empowerment program for children with autism and their families was launched with a grant from the United Way of Central New York. Enable’s Agency with Choice program was the first of its kind to be approved in New York State, allowing participants to have more involvement in hiring support staff, choosing which services to receive, and allocating money from their budget. An apartment for two women was opened in the Nob Hill complex, and residents of Thomas Drive moved to SkyviewTerrace.
- 2009 The Highbridge Terrace residence opened in Fayetteville. In conjunction with the Onondaga County Department of Aging and Youth, Enable began programs to allow elderly adults and eligible military veterans to have control over their personal assistance services.
- 2010 A new home on Commane Road in Van Buren was opened for four young women. Family Support Services were expanded to Madison County. Enable celebrated the 20th Anniversary of the Enable Golf Classic, a fundraising and networking event.
- 2011 Enable was awarded a $20,000 performance management grant from the Central New York Community Foundation to measure the impact of the Second Step and Creative Curriculum programs in our Education Services.
- 2012 Prudence York was named Executive Director.